The experimental aspect of the Breitling Orbiter 3 project implies that safety must be an absolute priority. The outcome of other round-the-world flight attempts has also shown that several kinds of possible scenarios must be envisaged.
To limit the risks involved, pilots each have the following equipment:
• Breitling Emergency watch with integrated distress transmitter (121.5 MHz frequency)
• Parachute with built-in minimal survival kit
• Individual inflatable dinghy
• Life-jacket complete with self-activating beacon
• Isothermal survival suit (wet-suit)
• Go-pack, a survival package containing tent, sleeping bag and food supplies.